Honestly these are like the best cupcakes ever. Seriously. We are really good at baking fails and somehow these turned out well…like really well. Our first baking success together. We used a recipe from Sugar Spun Run and tweaked it a little. Let’s all take a moment to appreciate this rare occurrence in which we bake something edible together. These cupcakes are fudgy, moist, decadent, and delicious. Considering they’re so good, they were actually pretty easy to make too. We used vanilla buttercream frosting, but of course if chocolate frosting floats your boat, you can do that too (the original is on the site…we would’ve done it but I didn’t have cocoa powder). But if you feel like baking something, bake these. Trust us. Satisfaction guaranteed.
Anyway, you HAVE to make these cupcakes. They are just that good. Here’s our tweaked recipe…
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup oil (we used sunflower seed oil)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, mixing together.
- Melt chocolate chips, being careful not to burn them. Add hot water to the melted mixture.
- Pour the chocolate-water mixture into the bowl. Use a hand mixer to combine.
- Add oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla into the mixture.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan, filling about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for about 18 minutes.
- Make sure your butter is completely softened and not cold in the middle (it’s kind of a no-brainer, but if it isn’t all the way softened it will curdle and your frosting will be kind of gross)
- Put powdered sugar and butter into another large bowl and beat with a hand mixer. Add milk and vanilla.
- The batter will be really thin and liquid-y. It’s supposed to be though, don’t worry.
- You can add about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the batter, if desired
- To add some sweetness, take regular marshmallows and cut them in half, then drop them on top of the batter after it has been poured into the cupcake liners.
Besides these cupcakes being really easy, they’re also some of the best we’ve ever had. If you feel like baking, bake these. If you do try them yourself, we would love feedback! Comment below ⇓⇓ and remember to like, pin, or share 🙂